MAKO Total Hip
If you’re one of the thousands of Australians suffering from pain caused by arthritis or an injury to the hip, and you haven’t experienced adequate relief with conservative treatment options, Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery might be right for you.
The MAKO Difference
In clinical studies, Mako resulted in:
- More accurate placement and alignment of hip implants based on the surgical plan.
- Less likelihood of hip dislocation.
- Reduced blood loss
- Replication of the feeling of a natural hip.
- Preservation of healthy bone.
How MAKO Technology Works?
Personalized surgical plan
Prior to surgery, a CT scan of your hip joint is taken in order to generate a 3D virtual model of your unique anatomy. The 3D model helps Dr. Chandrasekaran’s team see things he or she can’t typically see with an x-ray alone. This additional information helps Dr. Chandrasekaran’s team determine the optimal size, placement and positioning of your implant.
Throughout your procedure, Mako provides real-time data to your surgeon. This allows them to continuously assess the movement and tension of your new joint, and adjust your surgical plan if desired.
Arthritic bone removal
In the operating room, your surgeon guides Mako’s robotic arm to remove the arthritic bone and cartilage from the hip. A virtual boundary provides tactile resistance to help the surgeon stay within the boundaries defined in your surgical plan.
As the surgeon prepares to place the implant into its final position, the robotic-arm guides the implant at the desired angle defined in the surgical plan. This helps ensure the placement and alignment of the implant are performed according to plan.
Is MAKO an Option for Me?
Mako Total Hip is for people with:
- Severe hip pain or stiffness resulting from: noninflammatory degenerative joint disease (including osteoarthritis, traumatic arthritis, or avascular necrosis), rheumatoid arthritis or post-traumatic arthritis
- Those who haven’t experienced adequate relief with conservative treatment options, like bracing, medication or joint fluid supplements.