Post-operative instructions following knee arthroscopy surgery
1. Remove the bandage on post-op day 2.
2. Apply Band-Aids to the wounds. Please do not use bacitracin or other ointments under the bandage. Use ice machine as instructed, or use ice 30 minutes at a time at least 4 times per day.
3. You may shower on post-op day 3 if the incisions are dry. Gently pat the area dry after showering. Do
not soak the knee in water or go swimming in the pool or ocean until your wounds are healed.
4. Keep your leg elevated with a pillow under your calf, NOT under the knee.
5. Exercises to be performed 2-3 times daily:
Ø Gentle range of motion of the knee: bending and straightening.
Ø Straight leg raises, with foot straight and turned out. Goal is 25 reps three times per day.
Ø Isometric quadriceps contractions (flex your quadriceps).
Ø Weight bear as tolerated. Discontinue crutches or cane as pain allows.
6. If you have access to a stationary bike, you may try to begin riding when you feel able with no resistance. Begin with 5 minutes and increase daily, based on comfort. Begin with the seat raised high.
7. Please call the office to schedule a follow-up appointment for 14 days post- operatively.
8. If you develop a fever (38 degrees), redness or drainage from the surgical incision site, please call our office to arrange for an evaluation.
9. Continue aspirin 150mg daily for two weeks post operatively.
10. Discontinue pain medication when able.
11. You may require crutches to help with your mobility for the first two weeks but these can be discontinued when comfortable.
12. You may start driving short distances (15-20mins) when comfortable – usually at the two week mark.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call our office.